Sunday, 28 February 2010

iPledge an Allegiance to the Mac




iPods, iPhones and iMacs are only a few of the products that are made by Apple. If you haven't heard yet, they are all brilliant and nothing can or could possibly compete on their level. What's that you say? You've never used one? Well try one. Go out and buy one this very moment. You will love it. Everyone loves them. It's a fact!

It is now statistically proven that anyone who has bought a Mac, has always fallen in love with it. People love them so much Apple had to paint them white to hide all the slimy admiration all over each and every one. iMacs tend to work quite well. Some people prefer the operating system to Windows and some particular pieces of software work well on Mac computers. However as nice as Macs may be, a percentage of its fan base are turning fundamental and will protect their precious, expensive hardware against anything anyone in the universe has to say.

The worst thing about Apple products, and the reason stopping me from buying some, would be the ability for each of them to turn you into an iPrick. iPricks usually tend to hang around coffee shops with their nice shiny computers on display. These are the rules on what to do around an iPrick:

1. Don't question the Apple Product or suggest anything else is superior.
2.  If you break the first rule (I know it's hard) don't use the argument that you prefer Windows because they will just tell you to buy a Mac and put Windows on it or say it's so much easier to use.
3. Don't tell them that Macs don't get as many viruses (they do get viruses) because they are such a small percentage of the market share because Macs only work with Apple's hardware.
4. Watch Out, they bite.

A recent study has actually shown that 85% or Mac owners also own a PC or as some Mac supporters like to put it 15% of people who PCs also own a Mac, so these people may be secret Windows users at home in their deep dark dens.

Some Apple products do tend to be quite good however they are not all great. The future of tablet computing isn't going to be a device that can only run one application at a time, so the fact that the iPad is exactly this means that it won't be hard for other companies to compete with a better model. It is a bit depressing how Apple have set the standard bar so low at the beginning of this new age.

The reason for me writing this article is because of a situation I found myself in a few days ago. I was innocently sitting at my desk, at work, where I may have mentioned to the person next to me that I was thinking about buying a Kindle, to which he responded I should buy an iPad. At first this seemed like an innocent and logical suggestion, so I simply said to him I am waiting to buy a tablet PC until they get better because the iPad isn't that good. The man then attacked me. I could see the Apple logo glistening in his eyes. He said the iPad was going to be the next big thing and that we should all buy one. I said it probably won't be and was thrown with the fact how could I possibly know when it hasn't come out yet. It then appeared to me that this man was an idiot. He then persisted to say that I was scared of Apple because their computers are becoming so easy to use that I won't be able to get a job being a software engineer. I assured the man that this wasn't the reason since all computers need software no matter who they are made by, to which he patted me on the back patronisingly and left.

I have used OSX before and I can understand why some people may find it easier to use but is that that illogical that I might prefer Windows? To some Mac users this may be the case.

There is a nice old saying that Apple users swear by their devices and Microsoft swear at theirs. Both systems are good but there really isn't any huge advantage one has over the other. Just because something costs a lot more or looks cooler doesn't make it better. I have an iPhone, which I like, but Apple are at the end of the day another company trying to get every penny they can out of me. Apple are not to blame but people. Unfortunately I am one of those people who will always choose practicality over image, no matter if it's white and shiny. Macs may be practical for some people but not for me.

3 comments:

  1. Andy (your favorite american friend)2 March 2010 at 14:14

    This was way to long for me to read but I liked the picture. I think you should talk about the awesomeness of the USA in a future post. Everyone will love it, including Jesus.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So basically this was about the iPad not being that great, or Mac Fanboys are annoying? You know, any Fanboy is annoying no matter what it is about.

    I will say the iPad is a good start, but it still has a long way to go to reach its full potential. Yeah, you can prefer Windows, because it makes sense for certain people with certain interests. Personally, I could never go back to Windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a good blog ^^
    i lol'd at the "iPrick".
    Mac's ftw though =P haha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails